Monday, March 1, 2010

Vicarious Spring Fever

My 15 minutes today was spent researching goat breeds. I like my Nubians. What I'd really like is to start a line of polled mini Nubians. If I start with my 2 big girls and a grade ND polled buck... I might have some luck. We'll see. First I have to fence in the yard a bit more.

The reason I like polled goats is that goats with horns simply ARE more dangerous. Not to say that you are guaranteed to be badly hurt by your goat but it certainly adds to the potential for an accident to happen. I dislike the dehorning process though. I think it is cruel and that if it can be avoided by selective breeding then why not.

The problem with this is from what I read the genetics do not work out because there is a link between breeding polled to polled goats and having a higher chance of producing a hermaphrodite, which for breeding purposes is sterile and useless.

No comments: